Good supervision of water well drilling is essential for the provi- sion of long-lasting water wells. This guidance note assists ge- ologists and engineers in charge of the supervision of borehole construction as well as project managers. It can be used to pre- pare for training, and as a manual.
This guide details the responsibilities of the drilling supervisor at the different stages of borehole construction. It explains the actions to be carried out at each stage that will ensure that the driller delivers the borehole as specified in the contract.
The supervisor is expected to display great professionalism in carrying out his or her duties. A good knowledge of geology, hydrogeology and borehole construction is essential. Although the supervisor represents the client, he or she is expected to act with honesty, impartiality and fairness in any dispute over the contract. Young drilling supervisors need to be supported by more experienced personnel.
The publication part of a series by RWSN on Cost Effective Boreholes alongside:
- Code of Practice for Cost Effective Boreholes
- Sustainable Groundwater Development: use, protect and enhance
- Siting of Drilled Water Wells: A Guide for Project Managers
- Costing and Pricing: A Guide for Water Well Drilling Enterprises
- Procurement and Contract Management of Drilled Well Construction: A Guide for Supervisors and Project ManagersIt is assumed that readers will have access to the other documents, all of which are available on the RWSN website http://www-rural-water-supply.net.
- This training manual is also available in French and Portuguese